Deborah spoke to Vanecia Carr, Director of Customer and Brand Marketing at Domtar, about the importance of building a diverse workforce in the modern print industry in this Podcasts from the Printerverse episode.
When Vanecia talks about encouraging young people to be a part of the print industry, she speaks as someone who came into it as a young college graduate herself and falling in love with it. This personal perspective coupled with her passion for diversity within the industry makes her insights worth listening to and taking on board. In the podcast, she talks about:
- Forging a path for herself in a male-dominated industry
- Recognising how different today’s customer is compared with 20 years ago
- Attracting, and crucially, retaining employees from the next generation
- The stigma of ‘millennials’ and how their attitudes around work and careers is different, not worse
- Cross-generational mentorship programmes – how the older and younger generations can learn new skills from one another
As Vanecia covers in the episode, Domtar is practicing what it preaches when it comes to championing diversity and moving with the times. It’s recognising there are a myriad of ways to reach customers beyond print and embracing social media and online content to elevate the brand. Or making sure interns know they are valued members of the organisation that have opportunities to progress and grow.
Domtar also puts sustainability at the core of their business, making sure it’s part of the company culture and recognising its importance to their long-term success. You can listen to the full podcast episode here.
Karis Copp is a UK-based writer, journalist and communications expert. With a background as an editor and public relations specialist in the print industry, she now works on a freelance basis covering events, writing on industry news and trends, and working with businesses to help them tell their stories and connect with their customers. Follow her on Twitter @KarisCoppWrites.