WikiCells: Bottles that could be EATEN once you've drunk what's inside
This is from The Daily Mail but I did include other references since that is not one of my “go-to” sources for news and information.
Future bottles could be eaten after scientists developed an edible material that can taste like the drink inside.
The product, a membrane created using a biodegradable plastic combined with food particles, could either be peeled off or potentially eaten whole. So far, experts at Harvard University have filled an orange membrane with orange juice, a tomato-flavored enclosure with gazpacho and grape packages with wine. They have not yet created a bottle with the WikiCells but biomedical engineer Dr David Edwards hopes to create a prototype soon.
WHAT IS EDIBLE MATERIAL?
The edible material is called WikiCells and is created from a biodegradable polymer – or plastic – and food particles. Essentially, it is an egg-like membrane hard shell. It can be filled with a variety of flavours, including orange juice, wine or chocolate. It could form either a layer that you could peel off a bottle – or, one day, make the entire container.
To begin with, Professor David Edwards, from Harvard’s Wyss Institute, plans to develop it as a novelty item for restaurants. But he hopes to produce a WikiCell machine that could allow people – especially those in rural parts of the developing world – to make their own bottles without relying on plastic.
Eventually, he hopes to develop a WikiCells machine that would allow individuals to produce their own edible bottles.
- Bottles that can be eaten after you use what’s inside of them (lostateminor.com)
- Are you ready for wine bottles that could be eaten once you’ve drunk what’s inside? (wine-blog.org)
- Edible packaging is the ‘next big thing, but faces ‘psychological’ barriers (rawstory.com)
- WikiCell bottles are food containers that you can eat (dvice.com)
- Delicious, edible food packaging could curb plastic waste (grist.org)
- Forget Recycling: Here Comes Edible Packaging! (triplepundit.com)
- Edible Containers: Drink The Soda And Then Munch On The Bottle? (jubbling.com)
- Edible packaging (lifeofsimone.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Forget to Eat Your Bottle! Edible Food Packaging Has Arrived (organicauthority.com)